7/31/09 - Update

It has been awhile since I posted last and a bunch has happened, so I thought it made sense to give an update.

Dr. Watanabe has continued to monitor the health of my eye with the contact lenses. He has continued to look at the progression of the neovascularization, which has not really progressed significantly from the the pictures I previously posted. In addition, he had seen some edema in the center of my eye and also some staining on the eye, around the stitched area and for some reason on the nasal side of my left eye. As a result, he sent me back to Dr. Rapoza to have a look at the eye and ascertain what we should do. I saw Dr. Rapoza about a week ago and it was actually a very good visit. He told me that he did not believe that the neovascularization, etc. was a problem at all and everything seemed within the normal range for my stage in the healing process. He told me that he thought it was fine for me to wear contact lenses, as long as I was not seeing a lot of additional progression in the neovascularization or feeling a lot of pain or discomfort. He also mentioned that he could take out the stitches if we wanted, but that it didn't likely make sense to do it at this stage. Obviously, I viewed all of this as great news as it allows me to see for the time being!

I then had another appointment with Dr. Watanabe in which he looked at all of the issues with my eye, which had not progressed in any material way and since Dr. Rapoza seemed OK with me wearing lenses, advised me that I could continue to wear a soft lens in the eye. I had actually been through three different types of lenses at that point (Acuvue Oasis, Biofinity and Day and Night). He basically told me to let him know which I liked better as all of them seemed in the fit range. I ended up picking the Acuvue Oasis as I was getting the best combination of comfort and vision. I can see about 20/40 out of the eye and also can wear my lenses all day, typically about 16 hours without any material discomfort - basically they hurt at the end of the day and I use rewetting drops, but it is manageable.

Again, all in all, I view this as a great result for the time being and if this is how my vision stays for the long haul, I will be very pleased!

I have an appointment to go back and see Dr. Watanabe in about 2 months...fingers crossed!

Oh, and as I side note, it turns out that I need to have surgery on my shoulder to repair a torn labrum - I really should have taken out the extended warranty as I feel like I am fallin apart! - oh well, I think that shoulder surgery should be a breeze compared to the corneal transplant!

3 comments:

  1. Just wanted to say thanks for blogging about your experience and for posting the pics of your eye. A fascinating read.

    Wishing you great luck and healthy vision!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your story. I have Keratoconus in both eyes and have been placed on the transplant list so I am waiting for the call. After reading your accounts of the process I am not as anxious. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing your story. I also have Keratoconus in both of my eyes and I am scheduled for my first corneal transplant on November 18th. Reading your blog has really eased my mind on what to expect. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete

Free Hit Counter